Critical Thinking

According to Computer Arts Jan 2010, one of the way to be creative is to be critical, so I thought I need to figure out what critical thinking is. When I worked as a sales person, it seemed to me that it is one of the most important skill as a business person, but my understanding was fairly vague, which was just like thinking logically.

Moreover, in this case, the objectives of the critical thinking are supposed to be art and design works, so the approach might be different, but I would like to look through the concept of critical thinking, in case I would find the possibility of the further application.

Firstly, seeing art and design works critically is not so easy personally, so what I came up with first is to think 5 advantages and 5 disadvantages of any works. This process might make my feeling and impression more objective and help me to identify what I had overlooked in the first place.

An itroduction about critical thinking by Alec Fisher is available online. Through the original concept by Dewey, he mentioned, "he is saying that what matters are the reasons we have for believing something and the implications of our beliefs"(p.3).

It suggests the importance of analysing information not only in terms of contents but also the context around the information, you might be able to call it "meta data".

When it comes to critical thinking for art works, we might have to pay attention to intention of the artists and authors, connection with other works and social environment, and the influence on my own context.

Comments

Popular Posts