Move: Choreographing You / interactions among audience?

I went to Hayward Gallery to see the exhibition titled "Move: Choreographing You", well actually I "participated" in it.

One of the features of the exhibition is the participation of audience. Maybe because of that, there were many children. Some of the works were successful to make audience participate in the completion of the concept the works contained, or at least made some feeling in the audience as if they communicated their works physically or more viscerally than static art works.

The theme related to participation of audience is not new, but somehow it is enjoyable any time usually, maybe since participation is site-specific therefore it arises new feeling every time.

By the way, I thought that kind of exhibitions for adults who have few chances to be active physically. There were many children actually because of course it seemed to be good for them. If I were a parent, I would do, but at the same time I thought they are inherently playful, so the environment does not have to be set up to be playful for them. When I was saying like that,  a friend of mine told me that children did differently. Well, ok, yes, they did, and actually I was impressed by how they played actually. For example, there was a cubic room which had two walls next to each other covered by mirror, then some children made a quarter circle and two kids on the edge touched the wall with mirror and they made a full circle virtually. It is difficult to explain verbally, but anyway that was impressive. Then, I thought, "Ok, that makes sense, this is exactly the success of participation because the children enriches the experience of the exhibition no matter how much it is intended". In the first place, I just thought about the interaction between works and audience, but of course there could be interactions among audience.

It's shame that this post was too late since the exhibition has finished already, but it was a good time for me to re-think about participation and interaction.

Comments

Popular Posts