Exhibiting architectural concepts

I went to the summer show of Bartlett, which is one of the most famous architecture colleges in UK. They are usually distinguished with their artistic approach. Of course, the character of each course is controversial and quite subjective, but at least, personally I feel they are more artistic than others, especially compared to another famous school, AA school.

However, this time, my attention was paid to how to exhibit complex concepts such as architectural projects. Their techniques are excellent, and most of the works are beautifully produced, but in terms of presentation, I felt there might be something missing.

It is maybe because I hadn’t visited exhibitions of architecture for a while, then I almost forgot how to interpret these exhibitions. One of my tutors in Japan is an architect, and he questioned on his blog if it is good to express a complex idea with a simpler way in order to make it easier to understand. At least, in business contexts, making something complex simpler is a good way, but as my tutor concerns, there will be something lost in translation. Therefore, if you want to express your concept exactly, there will be risk that the audience cannot understand your concepts.

As the purpose of the show is to show students’ skills they have developed in their course work, their presentation becomes naturally including as many aspects as they can, and eventually becomes very complex.
Honestly, I used be strongly attracted by their exquisite techniques, but this time I got more familiar with their techniques, so it is more difficult for me to be so attracted as I used to be, and rather my interest was in their concepts. However, once I started to think about their concepts, their presentation seemed not to work well. It almost seemed to be in a fog.

As I mentioned before, the reason I could not get the concepts is that I did not have the decent knowledge and skills to grasp the concepts. Of course, they are not artists, therefore their focal point is not to organise good exhibitions, but to build good buildings, so it does not need to be a good exhibition, but I just felt there might be some alternative ways for exhibiting complex concepts.

Finally, although the show has just finished, it is worth seeing their works (of course I have no right to criticise and judge their works though)!

http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/architecture/events/summer/summer.htm

Comments

Popular Posts