Orchestra as a representation of the world

I went to a concert of an orchestra. I have to admit that I don't go there usually, but I had a chance to obtain a student discount this time, so I went there.

It's been a long time since I listened to live orchestra music, so I completely forgot what it actually is. Maybe because I was like a absolute beginner of listening to classic music, my attention was paid to the movement of the players. They moved very organically following the direction by the conductor. It looked like nature or the elegant movement of a school of fish. It reminded me of an article I read quite long time ago. It said that the objective of orchestra is a representation of the world. At the time, it seemed to be something like nature.

It was amazing that harmony was created from the serious of apparently complex but organically controlled movements. It is like the world of nature, isn't it? It can be explained with the analogy of "machine", since the players were well-trained and extremely organised. However, there was something more for me. Electric instruments could synthesise the multiple sounds and turn it into harmony, but it would not impress me like the live music. Of course, the appearance isn't so important for music, but seeing the process of synthesising harmony through complicated collective movements gave me a new impression of orchestra as a representation of the world.

Then, somehow I thought about the relation among nature, human and machine, maybe because I felt that orchestra can be captured as both nature and machine, so human seems to be in between. Of course nature and machine are not opposite, they are sometimes very similar. Interestingly I felt as if human beings can move around between them.

Comments

Popular Posts