Output > Input

I found a blog post (sorry, it's in Japanese) discussing about the difference between study and work. Study is usually "input", but work is "output", therefore good students are not necessarily good business people. I think this is right. My new year's resolution is the very same thing, and Why I'm writing this post is that resolution frankly.

I'm a student in London, and I graduate from my course soon, so I need to find a job. I did it in Japan when I finished my BA, but my feeling is completely different. It might be just me, but a kind of discourse surrounding new grads' job hunting in Japan is very interesting. The focal point is usually "growth", but what is "growth"? Usually it is used in a very general meaning. "A company in which you can grow up". This is a good pitch for students in Japan. I also used to be a student seduced by the message. Since my first job hunting, it has been five years, I'm still not sure what "growth" actually means. There are many companies consulting new grads recruiting, and they provide loads of a kind of impressive stories, in which it is described that how new grads change in companies, as marketing messages.

Sometimes it makes me feel a bit strange, maybe  because they claim "growth", but the goal is completely vague or none. How could you recognise your growth without measurement and goal? Some people insist that how a job hunting is important. Sometimes I feel education system in Japan has a problem since it produces a lot of students who have no clear goal in their life, then new grads recruiting consulting is a good business now, as they talk about passionate stories. Anyway, it works in one way or another, so my concern might be just too much.

Comments

Popular Posts